We look at how using the Chillow cooling pillow can help prevent cancer-related hot flushes and night sweats
Cancer and sweating
When you have cancer, you may notice that you start sweating more than usual. There is a range of causes for sweating, including infection, the actual cancer you have (such as non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma, carcinoid tumours, leukaemia, mesothelioma, bone cancer and liver cancer) and hormonal changes. Treatments such as morphine and chemotherapy can also cause sweating.
What are the symptoms of night sweats?
Excessive sweating can be uncomfortable and embarrassing in social situations. It can also interrupt your sleep if you experience night sweats.
You might notice:
- Waking up soaking wet – from your hair to your clothing to your sheets
- A mild fever that leads to heavy sweating
- Drenching sweats without a fever
- A sudden, brief feeling of warmth accompanied by flushing or sweating
Live Better With’s top tips for preventing night sweats when you’re living with cancer
How to prevent night sweats with cancer
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine as this dilates the blood vessels in the skin, increasing sweating
- Use a cooling pillow like The Original Chillow®
- Avoid eating spicy foods
- Keep your room at a cool, comfortable temperature
- Have an electric or handheld fan nearby at night
- Use light bed linen such as bamboo sheets which are breathable and temperature regulating
- Keep stress levels down
- Drink plenty of water as you can lose a lot of fluid in sweat
What is the Chillow Pillow?
The Original Chillow® is a unique cooling pillow pad offering relief from night sweats, hot flushes, sunburn, premenstrual overheating, migraines, backache, aching muscles, fever and is the perfect solution for hot sleepers and warm summer nights.
How does the Chillow work?
By combining the right materials and an ingenious design, the Chillow stays at room temperature which is always cooler than your body. It absorbs heat from your body and releases it into the air around you.
How does the Chillow differ from other cooling pillow and pads available?
This personal cooling solution uses ‘SoothSoft Comfort Technology’ to effective cooling without the need for refrigeration. Other unique features include:
- No electricity or batteries required
- Non-toxic, non-gel, latex- and phthalate-free
- Soft, medical grade surface is allergy free and easily wipes clean
- Vacuum seal prevents hot air from entering and keeps the core permanently cool
Can I use the Chillow directly on my skin?
Absolutely. The Chillow® Cooling Pillow is made of super-soft medical-grade materials that are hypoallergenic and nontoxic.
Can I sleep on the Chillow?
The Chillow is not an actual pillow. It is a cooling pad which can be used with your current pillow. The Chillow can be used directly on top of your pillow for maximum coolness or can be popped inside your pillowcase.
Is it supposed to be cool all the time?
One important thing is to let the air get to it. Keep it on top of your pillow or in the coolest area of your home, never in direct sunlight or near a heat source. If you want it even cooler, you can put your Chillow in the fridge for 15-30 minutes. This makes Chillow extra cool. However, you should never put it in the freezer – that will damage the material.
The length of time a Chillow stays cool is dependant upon the individual and the sleeping environment. The Chillow will not stay cool all night, but, in normal use, you can expect up to two or three hours cooling benefit.
What is the size of the Chillow Cooling Pad?
4 easy steps for activating your Chillow
- Add water: Unroll your Chillow valve side up on a clean, waterproof surface. Remove the valve cap. Using a calibrated measuring container, slowly pour in 8-9 cups of warm tap water. An exact amount of water is not needed.
- Let it rest: Replace cap on valve snapping down tightly. Let Chillow set flat for four hours to activate. Next, start at the “valveless” end, slowly rolling the Chillow like a sleeping bag. This will force air in the unit into an air pocket bubble at the valve end.
- Release air bubble: Holding your roll and air bubble in place, lift corner, slowly uncapping the valve to release air. Slowly sweep your arm across the deflating air pocket, forcing out all remaining air. Once you have removed all air, recap the valve to create a vacuum seal.
- Let cool: Let capped Chillow set (avoid direct sunlight) to fully cool down. It should appear wrinkly and vacuum packed as shown above. If not, repeat steps 2 and 3 until all air is removed.