Calendula. The common bright, orange Marigold flower – not to be underestimated when it comes to skin care.
What is Calendula?
Calendula is a plant that has been used for centuries for decorative purposes among the Greeks and Romans, Indians and Arabs, as well as culinary, cosmetic and medicinal reasons.
Known affectionately as marigold or pot marigold, calendula can be taken orally, but it often applied topically and is a common ingredient in many natural health skincare products including lotions, shampoos and soaps.
Benefits of calendula for the skin
Think of calendula as an all-purpose plant for a series of skin problems.
As one of the oldest known medicinal plant extracts used throughout history, calendula has powerful components that help soothe, heal and moisturise even the driest and most irritated skin.
Five skin benefits of calendula you should know
1) It has anti-inflammatory properties. Calendula has soothing properties that help counteract inflammation and skin dermatitis that can be a side effect of medical treatments and procedures, acne, rosacea, eczema, and allergies.
2) It has antibacterial properties. This powerful plant can help ensure skin doesn’t become infected – especially sore, irritated skin.
3) It contains powerful antioxidants. Calendula contains high levels of antioxidants that help prevent damage at the cellular level for deep-down health and healing of sore, irritated and damaged skin.
4) It’s safe enough for sensitive skin. Calendula is so gentle on the skin, it’s often used in baby care products and to help heal nappy rash.
5) It has anti-ageing properties. Calendula flowers contain carotenoids, which are key to helping your skin look more youthful. Carotenoids naturally exist in the outer layer of our skin, so calendula-rich formulas may help improve skin’s appearance.
Calendula and radiotherapy burns
Several studies have shown the benefits of calendula cream in helping to heal wounds, as well as helping to soothe the effects of radiation dermatitis, a painful skin condition that can affect people undergoing radiotherapy.
Calendula and dry skin
Calendula is gentle and hydrating, so it’s great for dry and sensitive skin. It not only soothes the skin but reduces the inflammation and pain associated with severely dry skin as well. It supports the integrity of the skin and increases its moisture-retaining capabilities.
Calendula and scars
The best calendula products for cancer patients
When you’re living with cancer, you may find that your usual skincare and beauty products do more harm than good while undergoing treatment. The best thing to do is to change up your routine to rely on simple, moisturising products that are made with sensitive skin in mind.
Lyonsleaf is a British skincare brand which is passionate about producing organic skincare that is 100% natural and 100% water-free to produce incredibly effective products that are safe, gentle. You can shop the Lyonsleaf Calendula range here.